“DIY First” that is our goal. Through a combination of partnering with innovative brands, and developing and bringing our own products to market, Yard Mastery is working to meet the challenges faced by today’s highly educated, savvy consumer.
At Yard Mastery, we recognize the internet creates transparency, and transparency drives innovation. We believe this innovation should seek to put the DIYer top of mind from conception to development and finally to distribution.
Whether it’s a brand that was previously “locked out” of the DIY market by large, retail-shelf hogging corporations, or a new startup looking to reach the tip of the spear in early adopters in the DIY space, Yard Mastery strives to be the conduit that feeds the success.
What is Yard Mastery?
Allyn Hane (The Lawn Care Nut) started Yard Mastery, along with his business partner, Josh Whitford, in early 2019.
“LCN is my personal brand. I have brand partners, products and programs I represent and teach via my primary YouTube channel and my store, TheLawnCareNut.com.
As LCN, I have two primary fertilizer and bio-stimulant partners that I work with: Carbon Earth Co for my granular offerings, and Greene County Fertilizer Co for my liquid offerings. LCN will continue to represent them and their awesome products, exclusively.
However, as our lawn care community has grown, and more manufacturers are becoming aware of the potential that exists within the DIY segment, I have started to see several new products surface that I think deserve to be seen, tested and utilized. Their biggest challenge, however, is that they have no voice - no way to get seen - as most big box store shelves are dominated by just one or two old school brands. Still many others have no idea how to break through online.
At the same time and at a similar pace, the amount of Lawn Care ‘influencers’ is on the rise. New channels/accounts with unique voices are popping up nearly everyday it seems. Many of these folks make great content, but they don’t always have the knowledge, time or the means to establish, run and service a full ecommerce business.”
Yard Mastery was started to bring these two together.
- 50% of our mission is to help other Lawn Care YouTubers gain access to, and distribution of, these products without having to set up warehousing, shipping, accounting, inventory, customer service, marketing and other software needed to run an ecommerce business. We handle those pieces. All they have to do is make good content and teach their audience about the products they like and utilize.
- The other half of our mission is to help great companies making cool stuff get matched up with YouTube influencers who can show the results of their products to the public. Fertilizers and bio-stimulants are the primary offerings we have now, but we are actively looking for partners with cool equipment and other DIY centric offerings as well.
If you are a manufacturer and wish to have your product considered for addition to the Yard Mastery store, please email email@example.com
If you are a YouTuber, Instagrammer, Blogger or other influencer, please sign up for our affiliate program at https://www.shareasale.com/ Sign up there as an affiliate and once approved, you can apply to the Yard Mastery program and begin building links from your content.
Note: Share-A-Sale can be strict with approvals. If you are rejected for some reason, please send an email to allyn@YardMastery.com
Essentially, LCN and Yard Mastery are the same company with two different voices. LCN is Allyn’s voice, and Yard Mastery represents the voices of many.
The Yard Mastery App
Very soon after starting Yard Mastery, we realized that with the array of offerings we planned to bring on board, a smart phone app, coupled with a soil test, could help users make smarter decisions and take away the “fear of the burned lawn” among other things.
We also wanted to provide an answer to the emails LCN gets dozens of times a week asking “when will you be coming out with a lawn journal app?”
Current and Future Expansion
Just in the last few months, Yard Mastery has grown quickly and we have since joined with equity partners Todd Furness, Head of Product and Engineers, Zak Beatty and Spencer Miller. They are the genius minds behind the Yard Mastery App.
Important note: our entire development team are Americans based in the US, no outsourcing. We also have an office in Bozeman, MT where our administrative and creative staff work from.
Our app provides 3 primary features:
- Lawn Journal where users can track what they put down and when as well as upload photos to track their progress. They can also record their mowing sessions which many do!
- 24-hour average soil temperature. Most of our strategies run off soil temps and the app provides those, down to the individual house address or just an overall city/zip reading depending on what the user chooses to provide.
- Application recommendations. Each user receives recommendations on “what to put down” and “when to put it down” based on their location and timing. The applications suggested are customer to each user. Currently we also recommend specific products for them to apply from within the Yard Mastery store. (brick and mortar - HD, Lowes, Ace - operators see more below)
Currently the app recommends products for purchase. We recommend only one “store bought option” (Milorganite) and the rest are options found within our online store. This is one reason we want to continue adding more and more products because a very soon to be released upgrade will be integration with our soil test which will provide yet another level of specificity in our recommendations.
Brick and Mortar - Big Box
However, as we continue to add more offerings to the Yard Mastery store, and incorporate the soil test, we will open that up to much much more.
If you are a decision maker for Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc and you would like to provide an API feed of the products in your stores, we are happy to integrate that feed for our users.
Of course we want to sell our stuff, but first and foremost we want the app to be useful for even the most novice DIYer looking at your shelves in fear. This app can take all that fear away but we need you to be transparent with what’s on your shelves so we can recommend the right thing. We hope one or all of you will see the potential here and get on board.